Bob Moore Construction Participates in Largest Construction Safety Stand Down in Texas History
May 2007 "Take Five to Stay Alive" Stand Down Offers Training to 5,200 Construction Workers Across Texas
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - June 11, 2007 - Bob Moore Construction recently participated in the largest construction safety stand-down in Texas state history.
On May 16, 2007 major construction projects across the state stopped production to participate in the SAFE Stand Down, which was organized by the AGC. The stand down lasted for 90 minutes so workers could receive safety awareness and procedural training. The theme for this stand down was "Take Five To Stay Alive," promoting pre-task planning to reduce accidents and increase work safety.
The latest stand down was the fifth such event in Texas. The first took place in May, 2005 after the region experienced 32 jobsite fatalities in 2004 and nine fatalities in the first four months of 2005, and have happened every six months since then.
Initially, the stand downs were supported by general contractors in north Texas; for example, approximately 65 general contractors participated in the November 2005 event. The May 2007 stand down was the first to go state-wide, with general contractors participating in Dallas / Fort Worth, Waco, Lubbock, Amarillo, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Brownsville. AGC reports that 306 general contractors participated in this event, stopping work at more than $2.1 billion in commercial construction projects to train 5,200 workers.
"Every stand down gets bigger and bigger," said Dino Sideris, Safety Director for Bob Moore Construction. "We saw how successful the training sessions were in the Metroplex and rolled the concept out to the rest of the state. It's very gratifying to know that the efforts we put in motion two years ago are now improving the welfare of more than 5,000 workers around the state. Ultimately, I'd like to see other states pick up this program as well.
"The training in this latest stand down went very well," Sideris added. "We cover a different subject in each stand down. Previously we covered fall protection and electrical equipment inspections. This time we trained workers how to use checklists and job hazard analysis to pre-plan and engineer tasks. Because the training is developed shortly before the stand downs, we're able to target our subject matter directly to the trends we're seeing."
Bob Moore Construction has participated in each stand down and has supported AGC in the development and implementation of these training events. The stand downs have been very successful in reducing jobsite accidents; the north Texas region alone has seen a decrease in jobsite fatalities by more than 50% between 2004 and 2006.
"The stand downs are indicative of how Bob Moore Construction has taken a leadership role in jobsite safety in Texas," said Sideris. "We've helped to develop this program from its infancy. We've also provided training to other general contractors and worked with QUOIN / AGC and the Texas Building Branch - Safety Committee in Austin to effect change in safety-related safety legislation."
In January, 2007 OSHA recognized Bob Moore Construction for the OSHA Local Partnership Program, making the Arlington company only the third general contractor in north Texas to earn this prestigious recognition. The company's safety program also contributed to them winning QUOIN / AGC's Summit Award for Construction Excellence and Texas Building Branch's Outstanding Construction Award in April - May, 2007.
"We want to improve safety on every jobsite in Texas," explained Sideris. "The worker pouring concrete on some other site today may be doing that job for us three months from now. It helps all general contractors if we can work together on safety so we have a consistently trained work force anywhere in the state. Bob Moore Construction has helped to pioneer this mindset around Texas and it's exciting to see that mindset take root in all of the state's major markets."
More Information on Our Safety Program:
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Receives Safety Achievement Award From CompGroup AGC
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Named First Certified Tilt-Up General Contractor in the United States
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Participates in 5th Annual SAFE Stand Down
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Selected as Member of OSHA State Partnership
- Press Release - Dino Sideris Receives Safety Director of the Year Award From QUOIN / AGC
- Construction Article - Construction Safety: Planning, Training and Inspections
- Press Release - Dino Sideris Chosen for Vice Chair Position on QUOIN / AGC Safety Resource Leadership Group
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Participates in State's Largest Construction Safety Training Program
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Receives Safety Awards From Tilt-up Concrete Association
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Participates in Largest Construction Safety Stand Down in Texas History
- Bob Moore Construction Safety Program
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Selected as Member of Elite OSHA Partnership
- News Story - Dallas / Fort Worth Commercial Construction Jobsites Stand Down for Safety
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Safety Director Named to Texas Building Branch Safety Committee
- Newsletter - Bob Moore Construction Completes Westwood College Campus / Making Safety a Value / Taking Time to Talk Safety.
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Safety Director Named to AGC Committees
- Press Release - Bob Moore Construction Participates in SAFE Stand-Down
About Bob Moore Construction
Now Celebrating 70 years of construction excellence in Texas and around the United States!
A recipient of the QUOIN / AGC General Contractor of the Year Award, the TEXO / AGC Summit Award for Construction Excellence and the Texas Building Branch-AGC Outstanding Construction Award, Bob Moore Construction has been one of the most respected commercial construction companies in Texas since 1946. An industry leader in tilt-up construction, the company was the first general contractor in the United States to be formally certified as a TCA Certified Company by the Tilt-up Concrete Association (TCA). Bob Moore Construction was also one of the first general contractors in North Texas to be accepted into the OSHA Local Partnership program in recognition of its superior safety program. The company's portfolio includes a wide range of commercial buildings, from warehouses and distribution centers to office buildings and retail stores. Whether it is providing general contractor, design / build or construction management services, Bob Moore Construction's goal remains the same: to deliver quality construction projects on time and in budget. Bob Moore Construction is a member of TEXO / Associated General Contractors of America, American Concrete Institute and a sustaining member of the TCA.
Bob Moore Construction, Inc.
Jeff Schaefer Marketing Communications Manager
1110 North Watson Road
Arlington, Texas 76011
Phone: (817) 640-1200
Fax: (817) 640-1250