Bob Moore Construction Completes First Industrial Project to be Registered as a Gold Facility for LEED Core and Shell in Texas for Flaherty Development
Green Buildings Showcased in 1.16 Million SF Pioneer 360 Business Center in Arlington, Texas
ARLINGTON, TEXAS - April 16, 2009 - Bob Moore has completed the Pioneer 360 Business Center on behalf of Flaherty Development in Arlington, Texas. This 1.16 million SF business park is believed to be the first industrial project to be registered as a Gold facility for LEED Core and Shell in the state of Texas.
The Pioneer 360 Business Center is a three-building business complex along State Highway 360 in Arlington, Texas. This high-profile 70-acre project is part of the same "Champion Arlington" strategic community development plan that includes the Texas Rangers' Ballpark in Arlington and the new Dallas Cowboys stadium.
Bob Moore Construction was the general contractor and Alliance Architects designed the complex.
"We were looking for a good site in this market," said Brian Flaherty, owner of Flaherty Development. "This site had excellent visibility along SH 360 and was a really good opportunity."
Before construction could take place, the Festival Marketplace, a 40 year-old, 800,000 SF abandoned regional mall, had to be demolished and the site's infrastructure required a complete overhaul.
"We presented this opportunity to the city of Arlington and our capital partners and negotiated a deal as a presale development in July 2007," said Mr. Flaherty. "The city provided tax abatements, which ultimately made this project possible. We started with an initial concept and modified that design to meet the capital partner's specifications and modifications before and during construction. Over the process this became a true build-to-suit project, which required a great deal of flexibility."
The completed Pioneer 360 Business Center provides a dramatic skyline to SH 360. Buildings A (194,845 SF) and B (152,800 SF) are designed to support rear-load warehouse, office, showroom and flex tech operations for up to four independent tenants per building. The buildings feature a combined 96 loading dock bays, and ribbon glass bands on the front walls, with two-tone paint finishing and stone facade entrances on the exterior. Building C is an 815,820 SF cross-dock distribution center designed to house one to six tenants. It is finished with a two-tone paint scheme, with more than 100 trailer storage spaces. Building C includes 158 loading dock bays.
The most unique feature of the new business park is that it is believed to be the first industrial project to be registered as a Gold facility for LEED Core and Shell in the state of Texas. The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Some of the considerations for Pioneer 360 Business Center's registration for LEED certification include:
- The project began with the demolition and asbestos abatement of the Festival Marketplace mall; more than 91,634 tons of steel, concrete, asphalt, copper and aluminum coming from the mall were recycled rather than sent to landfill.
- Community connectivity and infilling redevelopment rather than adding to suburban sprawl - The project replaced an abandoned mall and was built on already developed land instead of a previously undeveloped area. This resulted in the removal of an environmentally unfriendly building and kept undeveloped tracts from being built up unnecessarily. It also improved land values for the surrounding community, placed the buildings in close proximity to other businesses (reducing the fuel usage for employees at the new buildings).
- A white roof and light-colored concrete was used to reflect heat and reduce facility cooling costs.
- Use of T-5 warehouse lights for energy conservation.
- Sunlight harvesting - use of a watt stopper system, which automatically controls lights in the skylight areas of the warehouse.
"The project has turned out extremely well," said Mr. Flaherty. "The brokers and prospective tenants have liked the buildings very much. The city is very pleased as well. There has been a lot of interest particularly in Buildings A and B, directly along the highway. Those have resonated in the market very well.
"Bob Moore Construction did a great job on this project," added Mr. Flaherty. "This project required a lot of coordination with the city and the local community, as you would expect on a 40 year-old site, and Bob Moore Construction is always good at working through issues like that. We received requests for a major site plan revision and adoption of LEED after we'd broken ground as well. Bob Moore Construction was able to accommodate all of that."
"I've worked with Brian Flaherty on several projects," said Kyle Whitesell, Senior Project Manager for Bob Moore Construction. "He's an active, involved developer with the knowledge and experience to be a superior part of the construction team. We're very proud of the Pioneer 360 Business Center and the fact that we believe it's the first industrial project to be registered as a Gold facility for LEED Core and Shell in Texas. This project sets the benchmark for future LEED industrial core and shell projects across the state and will serve as a showcase for green developers and builders. Ultimately, this project will be very important not just to Flaherty Development, but to the US Green Building Council in North Texas and the city of Arlington as well."
For more information about development opportunities like this, please contact Flaherty Development at (817) 501-9457 (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Bob Moore Construction at (817) 640-1200.
More information on Bob Moore Construction, the USGBC and the LEED certification program:
- Pioneer 360 Business Center: Overcoming the Unique Challenges of Infill Development to Deliver a Gold LEED for Core & Shell Project
- Press Release: Pioneer 360 Business Center Receives LEED Gold Core & Shell Certification
- Press Release: Bob Moore Construction Completes First LEED Gold Certification-Pending Core and Shell Industrial Project in Texas for Flaherty Development
- Project Profile: Pioneer 360 Business Center - Arlington, Texas
- Press Release: Demolition Begins on Festival Marketplace Mall in Arlington, Texas
- Press Release: Bob Moore Construction Becomes First U.S. Green Building Council North Texas Chapter Platinum Member
- Press Release: Jason Cole Earns LEED Accredited Professional Certification from U.S. Green Building Council
- Press Release: Bob Moore Construction Joins U.S. Green Building Council
About Bob Moore Construction
Now Celebrating 70 years of construction excellence in Texas and around the United States!
A recipient of the QUOIN / AGC General Contractor of the Year Award, the TEXO / AGC Summit Award for Construction Excellence and the Texas Building Branch-AGC Outstanding Construction Award, Bob Moore Construction has been one of the most respected commercial construction companies in Texas since 1946. An industry leader in tilt-up construction, the company was the first general contractor in the United States to be formally certified as a TCA Certified Company by the Tilt-up Concrete Association (TCA). Bob Moore Construction was also one of the first general contractors in North Texas to be accepted into the OSHA Local Partnership program in recognition of its superior safety program. The company's portfolio includes a wide range of commercial buildings, from warehouses and distribution centers to office buildings and retail stores. Whether it is providing general contractor, design / build or construction management services, Bob Moore Construction's goal remains the same: to deliver quality construction projects on time and in budget. Bob Moore Construction is a member of TEXO / Associated General Contractors of America, American Concrete Institute and a sustaining member of the TCA.
Bob Moore Construction, Inc.
Jeff Schaefer Marketing Communications Manager
1110 North Watson Road
Arlington, Texas 76011
Phone: (817) 640-1200
Fax: (817) 640-1250